How Contractors Implement Their Safety Program

Now that you have your Company’s personalized Safety Manual in a shiny three-ring binder doesn’t mean you have a safety program. It is merely a roadmap – so now let’s put the rubber to the road.

Remember – first and foremost, by law, it is a Contractors responsibility to provide a worksite as defined in OSHA 1926.12, which states:

“for construction, alteration, and/or repair, including painting and decorating, that no contractor or subcontractor for any part of the contract work shall require any laborer or mechanic employed in the performance of the contract to work in surroundings or under working conditions which are unsanitary, hazardous, or dangerous to his health or safety.”

So, with your roadmap in hand, let’s identify your strategy. What makes it a program? Your implementation and commitment will determine its success. Here’s where the Pareto principle kick in, you know the 80 – 20 rule, where roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. I think it might be safe to suggest that:

Of the 80% of contractors that have safety manuals only 20% will actually apply and implement the policies and procedures required by OSHA standards into their daily operations.

20% of contractors and subcontractors will experience 80% of job site accidents.

80% of the accidents will come from 20% of specific job site activities (like ladders)

Without an organized safety program, statistically you put your company, employees, subcontractors and clients at risk.

Leadership and Management are the keys here. Safety has to be a core company value with zero tolerance for unsafe practices.

Start with employee involvement. Create a Safety Committee with a mix of employees. From this committee select a Safety Officer who will be the point man or woman to coordinate the overall company program.

I can already hear the excuses from the smaller companies: “I only have 4 employees, we don’t have the time, it costs too much…yada, yada, yada…”

Don’t over think it here. You’re probably already doing a lot of the right things. The challenge now is to focus on the 20% of efforts required to manage 80% of your overall Accident Prevention Program on a daily basis. Do the 80% right and the other 20% should fall in place as a natural extension of a managed safety program.

This is the third of a series of article published by Kent Leighton and The FlatRock Group to help companies understand the importance of Safety in their Construction Operations and how simple it is to create and deploy a successful OSHA Compliant Safety Program.

© 2014 The FlatRock Group All Rights Reserved

Spread the word. Share this post!

About the author

Kent Leighton, Founder of The Flat Rock Group, has more than 40 years of experience in the Construction and Development Industry. Having owned a successful midsize General Contracting firm he understands the opportunities and trials of running a successful business enterprise. His passion is sharing his victories and his scars with leaders and managers to help them grow and prosper.